Position Title: Chief Financial Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Benzinga's mission is to be a part of every investment decision made - from an individual investor’s first brokerage account to global fund managers. As a tech-enabled financial media platform, Benzinga content is now read by more than 50M people every month, but we are not satisfied. That's where you come in!
Benzinga has grown by over 250% the last 2 years, more than doubled the size of its team & recently announced majority-ownership by Beringer Capital, a private equity firm specializing in the rapidly evolving media, marketing services, commerce, data and technology sectors.
Our team of more than 100 is leveling the playing field for individual investors and is in the midst of a period of significant growth across editorial, analytics and events operations.
If business building alongside founders and leaders excites you, this position is for you!
The Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for both strategic and operational initiatives, serving as a thought partner across various functional and divisional aspects of the business while implementing the systems and processes to help the company maximize long-term enterprise value. This strategic CFO will be growth-oriented and look at the business “through the windshield” rather than the rearview mirror. As a key member of the senior executive team, the CFO will provide leadership, entrepreneurial gumption, a hands-on approach, and a clear and timely communication style. The CFO will have full ownership of the finance organization across all functions (audit, tax, treasury, FP&A etc.) and will interface with the board of directors on strategic matters.
In addition, the CFO serves a key role in Beringer Capital’s M&A activity as it relates to the Benzinga brand. He or she is responsible for (1) leading financial and accounting diligence, (2) managing and overseeing other diligence work streams, as well as (3) integration planning and execution. The CFO engages regularly with and presents to Beringer Capital and the Benzinga Board and prioritizes managing risk for Benzinga and its owners.
The CFO is expected to maintain financial discipline in Benzinga’s finance organization, overseeing the generation of all financial information that will assist senior management, its shareholders and other users in making educated economic and strategic decisions about the Company's future. As the finance function is currently outsourced, the CFO will be expected to build out the finance function in a manner most suitable to business needs.
- Play a key role in the development of, and providing decision support for, a range of strategic and operational initiatives.
- Interact effectively with all parts of the organization and communicate financial and operating results to key stakeholders.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the Benzinga finance organization including:
- Timely and accurate preparation and review of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- The entire audit process, including managing relationships with outside auditors and generating audited financial statements.
- The budgeting and financial planning process, including annual budget, periodic re-forecasts, and regular measurement of performance against budget targets.
- The treasury function and working capital/cash management.
- Reporting and monitoring of organizational performance and benchmark metrics. Complete analysis of financial results and develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Federal, state and local tax matters, ensuring compliance with tax laws and timely preparation of all related tax filings.
- Establish and maintain sound internal controls, processes, systems and technology that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of Benzinga.
- Oversee transaction due diligence and evaluation of prospective acquisitions, and play a key role in strategy and integration of all acquisitions and partnerships.
- Work with the CEO to analyze business trends, competitive landscape, pricing, etc., in conjunction with the strategies for the business.
- Assist in analyzing new business strategies and plans including new capabilities and product lines, entry into new (related) market segments.
- Manage relationship with outside lenders, including compliance with and measurement of all bank reporting and covenant requirements.
- Oversee implementation and renewal of general liability as well as other insurance plans.
- Collaborate with and possibly oversee Human Resource function, ensuring that the 401(k) is properly managed within the guidelines of Department of Labor.
- A CFO who has not only worked in a sponsor-backed company but has also been involved in a successful exit, with a record of driving measurable value is a strong advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience leading financial and accounting functions within high-performing, high-growth organizations.
- M&A experience, including success completing target due diligence and post- acquisition merger integration.
- Experience working in media (Business and/or Consumer), subscription services and/or information services is an asset.
- Strong understanding of data analytics and getting the right information to the right people at the right time.
- Strong accounting skills and experience leading audit and control operations (A/P, Payroll, Fixed Assets, etc.). CPA is a strong advantage.
- Familiarity with State Sales and Use Tax Experience and with corporate tax filing and reporting.
- Demonstrated track record of working with banks/outside lenders.
- Highly organized and able to identify and execute process improvements.
- Ability to anticipate issues and address them in a proactive, pragmatic, fast-driven manner using analysis and metrics.
- Collaborative team player with exceptional relationship and communications skills, and successful track record of building and maintaining strong, collaborative working relationships both internally and externally.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, with ability to perform in a fast-paced, hands-on environment.
- Highly process oriented, multi-tasker, analytical thinker.
- Solution oriented attitude and strong problem-solving skills.
- An analytical mind, comfortable with numbers, ability to communicate complex financial matters simplistically.
- Track record of operating with high integrity and honesty.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite of Products. Exposure to computerized interchange systems (ACH, Online Merchant Banking applications).
- BA/BS Degree required.